Freelance Nature Tour Guide:
Tune into the sights and sounds of the wild. Take part in identification and interpretation of natural phenomena. Customized Field Trips, Extended Programs and Tours arranged upon request.
- Short Excursions and Field Trips to local natural areas and nature trails, ideal for schools, clubs & organizations.
- Weekday or Weekend programs customized to suit your specific requirements.
- Customized courses, workshops and recreational programs are available on Nature & Wildlife Photography and/or General Photography.
- World travel for the purpose of exploring natural history includes: All parts of Canada; ALL parts of the United States (lower 48); Antarctica; Tropical Pacific; Mexico; Central America; The Caribbean; South America; Africa; The Middle East; England; etc.
- Tour Leader for a variety of Canadian and International Nature Tour Companies including: Quest Nature Tours; Naturalist Journeys; Fundy Hiking; The Travelling Naturalist; Avian Adventures; Greentours; etc.
- Successful completion of Introduction to Tourism at Algonquin College.
- St John Ambulance CPR certificate
- Class "F" Ontario Drivers License
Environmental Consultant Services:
- Member of Board of Directors for Wild Bird Care Centre from 2011 and on.
- Breeding Bird Survey conducted for The Nature Conservancy of Canada - Three individual breeding bird inventories of properties in Eastern Ontario, Summer 2005.
- Breeding Bird Survey conducted for Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources - Breeding Bird inventory of Fitzroy Provincial Park, Summer 2004.
- Ornithological Survey work conducted for Golder Associates Ltd. - Bird survey of Wetland Pocket associated with the North Goulbourn Wetland Complex, Winter 2003/2004 and Spring/Summer 2004.
- Ornithological Survey work conducted for National Capital Commission's Ornithological Study - Lac Leamy, Gatineau, QC, July 2001.
- Field Observer for the Biological Inventory of the Regional Municipality of Ottawa-Carleton in connection with the RMOC Official Plan 1996 (employed by Vivian R. Brownell).
- Member of the Goulbourn Environmental Advisory Committee.
- Nature and wildlife articles published in Cottage Life Magazine, Ottawa Outdoors, Birders Journal, Nature Canada, Orléans Community Weekly Journal, Trail and Landscape, Fifty-five Plus.
Slide Presentations, Workshops and Seminars:
Educational and entertaining photo/slide presentations for your class, meeting or social function. Informative anecdotal commentary guaranteed to amuse. Inspiring images that will delight audiences of all ages. Perfect for kids and seniors. Shows can run from half an hour to three hours depending on subject and client requirements.
- Customized Workshops available on the subjects of Nature & Wildlife Photography, Birdwatching & Attracting Wildlife and General Natural History.
- Customized Slide Presentations - ideal for schools, clubs & organizations.
- Instructor for Ottawa - Carleton District School Board's Continuing Education Programs - Introduction to Birding.
- Programs frequently conducted for schools, clubs and organizations like Carleton University, Ginn Photographic, Canadian Wildlife Service, YMCA, Kiwanis Club, all local Nature and Camera Clubs, etc.
- Occasional guest speaker on CBC Television, CJOH Television, Outdoor Life Network & CBC Radio concerning birds, nature and wildlife.
- Active birder and naturalist since 1979.
- Birding "World Life List" stands at approximately 2500 species (birds successfully identified by sight).
- Breeding bird survey work done for the Ontario Breeding Bird Atlas, Quebec Breeding Bird Atlas and Presqu'ile Provincial Park.
- Sector leader for the Ottawa Audubon Christmas Bird Count.
- Site observer for Canadian Wildlife Service Peregrine Falcon Release Program (1987, 1994, 2002 & 2005).
- Bird banding experience at Thunder Cape, Ontario (Sept. 2001) and Innes Point, Ontario (April/May 2003).
- Team Captain of "The Merlins" (sponsored by Focus Scientific, Ottawa), second place winners in the Taverner Cup, 24 hour birding competition, for 2001, 2002 and 2003, third place winners from 1997 to 2000.
- Chairperson for the Birds Committee of the Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club from 1991 to 1995.
- Bird watching field trip leader for schools, clubs and organizations like Ontario Field Ornithologists, Canadian Nature Federation, Presqu'ile Provincial Park, Canadian Wildlife Service, Algonquin College, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club, etc.
- Most significant discovery: Sulphur-bellied Flycatcher (Myiodynastes luteiventris), September 28, 1986 at Presqu'ile Provincial Park, Ontario (first record for Canada).
- Member of the Year for 1994 awarded by the Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club.
- The Elizabeth Le Geyt Award 2005 awarded by the Wild Bird Care Centre. In Recognition Of Outstanding Contribution To Public Awareness And Love Of Wild Birds.
- Featured Birder in the Innis Point Bird Observatory Ballie Birdathon - May 2008.
Photo courtesy of Lynn Ball
Receiving The 2005 Elizabeth Le Geyt Award
Cathy Nihei and Elizabeth Le Geyt present the award to Tony - April 26, 2005